- Lecture at Dunham Massey Hall – National Trust property
- Battle of Arras talk at 2013 Autumn conference of Worcestershire & Herefordshire WFA
- Audio recordings of tunneller, 256302 Sapper Fred Brown, 251 Tunnelling Company RE
- Walking in the footsteps – the satisfaction of a bespoke battlefield tour
- Following in the footsteps of the 9th Battalion Rifle Brigade at the Battle of Arras (April – May 1917)
"Your gift is in putting your research in such a moving way that it comes alive, never to be forgotten"- Grace Acott
Jeremy Banning BEng (Hons), MA
Welcome to my website. I am a military historian and researcher specialising in the First World War. I specialise in the Battle of Arras and underground tunnel warfare.
I have collaborated on a number of books as well as acting as principal researcher for many others as well as radio and television programmes. As such, I have an in-depth knowledge of the archives. Last year I showed Hugh Dennis around the battlefields for the BBC’s ‘Who Do You Think You Are?’ and have worked on various Time Team Specials.
I am a founder member of the La Boisselle Study Group – a detailed archaeological and historical investigation into a unique segment of preserved First World War battlefield, worked on BBC Four’s The Somme: Secret Tunnel Wars (May 2013) about military mining and tunnel warfare. Over the past year I have been working on Writers of the Somme, a documentary telling the story of the battle through the experiences and words of the poets and writers who took part.
I passionately believe in educating future generations about the First World War and provide a variety of services to schools including talks, workshops and research. I am currently visiting schools as part of the ‘Heritage Schools’ programme provided by English Heritage and recently worked with the National Trust on their Sanctuary from the Trenches project.
I also provide the following services:
- Archival Research – just what did your relative do in the war?
- Battlefield Tours – ever fancied visiting the battlefields and walking in your forebears footsteps?
- Lectures – hear me speak on a variety of subjects.
Please take a look around my site; my blog and image galleries are updated regularly. If you require my services or have any questions then please Contact Me.