- “The Somme Cauldron – Life and Death in the La Boisselle Sector” at the Institute of Civil Engineering, Museum of Bath at Work, 17 June 2014
- Exploring Swindon’s war – a workshop at Orchid Vale Primary School
- Did the media miss the important bit? The online release of First World War diaries from the National Archives
- Lord Kitchener on the £2 Coin. Right or Wrong?
- Bringing the First World War to Shrewsbury International School, Bangkok
"Your gift is in putting your research in such a moving way that it comes alive, never to be forgotten"- Grace Acott
Jeremy Banning BEng (Hons), MA
Welcome to my website. I am a military historian and researcher specialising in the First World War. Principal interests are the Battle of Arras and underground tunnel warfare.
I have collaborated on a number of books along with acting as principal researcher for many others as well as BBC television and radio documentaries. I have an in-depth knowledge of the archives. Last year I showed Hugh Dennis around the battlefields for the BBC’s ‘Who Do You Think You Are?’ and have worked on various Time Team Specials.
I am a founder member of the La Boisselle Study Group conducting archaeological and historical investigation into a small area of preserved battlefield and worked on BBC Four’s The Somme: Secret Tunnel Wars (May 2013). Over the past year I have been working on Writers of the Somme, a documentary telling the story of the battle through the experiences and words of the poets and writers who took part.
I passionately believe in educating future generations about the First World War and provide a variety of services to schools including talks, workshops and research. I am currently visiting schools as part of the ‘Heritage Schools’ programme provided by English Heritage and recently worked with the National Trust on their Sanctuary from the Trenches project.
I also provide the following services:
- Archival Research – just what did your relative do in the war?
- Battlefield Tours – ever fancied visiting the battlefields and walking in your forebears footsteps?
- Lectures – hear me speak on a variety of subjects.
Please take a look around my site; my blog and image galleries are updated regularly. If you require my services or have any questions then please Contact Me.