- A day of talks and workshops at Carshalton Boys Sports College
- Researching the war service of David Emanuel’s grandfather, John Leslie Emanuel, for BBC Wales ‘Coming Home’
- BBC Two documentary ‘War of Words – Soldier Poets of the Somme’
- Preview of ‘War of Words – Soldier-Poets of the Somme’ at Bristol’s Watershed on 5 November 2014
- “The Somme Cauldron – Life and Death in the La Boisselle Sector” at the Institute of Civil Engineering, University of Bath, 17 June 2014
"Your gift is in putting your research in such a moving way that it comes alive, never to be forgotten"- Grace Acott
Jeremy Banning BEng (Hons), MA
Welcome to my website. I am a military historian and researcher specialising in the First World War. Principal interests are the Battle of Arras and underground tunnel warfare.
I have collaborated on a number of books along with acting as principal researcher for many others as well as BBC television and radio documentaries. I have an in-depth knowledge of the archives. I am a founder member of the La Boisselle Study Group conducting archaeological and historical investigation into a small area of preserved Somme battlefield.
Television credits include showing Hugh Dennis around the battlefields for the BBC’s Who Do You Think You Are? (2012), BBC Wales series Coming Home with actor Robert Glenister (2012) and fashion designer David Emmanuel (2014).
TV research work includes various Time Team Specials, BBC Four’s The Somme: Secret Tunnel Wars (May 2013) and, most recently, acting as Historical Consultant for BBC Two’s War of Words: Soldier-Poets of the Somme (Nov 2014), a documentary telling the story of the battle through the experiences and words of the poets and writers who took part.
I passionately believe in educating future generations about the First World War and provide a variety of services to schools including talks, workshops and research. I am currently visiting schools as part of the ‘Heritage Schools’ programme provided by English Heritage and recently worked with the National Trust on their Sanctuary from the Trenches project.
I also provide the following services:
- Archival Research – just what did your relative do in the war?
- Battlefield Tours – ever fancied visiting the battlefields and walking in your forebears footsteps?
- Lectures – hear me speak on a variety of subjects.
Please take a look around my site; my blog and image galleries are updated regularly. If you require my services or have any questions then please Contact Me.